Thursday, October 9, 2008

Poor Baby

Well it finally happened. My worst fear as a new mom is if I would know when my baby was sick. The answer: no. Not right off the bat. But I did learn that my motherly instincts are intact. I knew something was up.

I guess I shouldn't be hard on myself though because he's such a good tempered baby. He would smile instead of cry. We drove to Provo twice last week. Over the mountains and a long trip later, it didn't occur to me that it would affect Jaces' health. But a week after those trips he acted different. He was a little more fussy, and I noticed his nose was a little more stuffy than usual. He also picked up a small cough and yesterday he had a fever. I went to visit my mom at her work and she suspected an ear infection. Crap. I was only 2 months old when I had to get tubes in my ears and I didn't want that to be the case with my son. So now it was time to call the doctor. I set up an appointment the next day. I was mad at myself because I didn't catch this sooner. The poor kid had been suffering a whole week!! I felt like a terrible mom. Thankfully my husband came home that night and told me I was a great mom and reminded me of all the things I do right for Jace and I felt better.

At the doctors office Jace was weighed. 14 pounds!!! My son had gained 2 pounds in the last 3 weeks. That made me feel even better. Pretty obvious he's not starving and that's a good sign of being healthy. Then his doctor came in and said his ears looked great and so did everything else. YES!! No ear infection!!!! I was so happy to hear that news. She did say that it looked like he caught a small cold and that with a little t.l.c. he would be fine. Happy day! It makes me glad to know that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. And not only that I realized that I AM a GREAT mom. I was already giving him the medicine he needed and doing the things that would help him feel better and get better soon. That sounds like a mom to me. Yeah I'm still in the learning stage, but I feel that's how the best mothers come to be. They learn and they perfect those skills they learn. There always has to be a starting point to everything. And I got through mine just fine.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

You make me laugh. But that's ok, I understand- I was a wreck any time anything would go wrong with my tiny baby Hunter. Totally blamed myself. Silly, but I thikn that's how it is with your first.

Hartle Family 7 said...

Jace is so funny! But he is also so cute. The picture of Jace is so hillarious! Everyone says hi and they love you. Abba