Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Birth Story :)

Sorry all you men who might read this, but because I LOVE reading everyone else's birth stories I'm going to post mine. Ladies, enjoy :)

Jace's delivery was so hard and long and ending up being a nightmare. I was really nervous that this delivery would be the same. Everyone would give me encouraging words that "the second one is always better", "Jace carved the way for this one", "Second babies come faster". I loved hearing the words and they DID bring me comfort, but there was still a part of me that feared another roller coaster delivery. After praying and reading scriptures, I decided that whatever happened, it would bring me a healthy baby boy.

Well "D-Day" came and we left for the hospital at 8:00 am. Jace was with Grandma Lois. We arrived, got registered, and led to my room. Dr. Griffith came in at 9:00 am and broke my water. We decided to wait an hour to see if my contractions would start on their own. At 10:30 we started the Pitocin also known as the PIT. My contractions had started, but we wanted to get them into 2-3 per minute state. I was getting really nervous at this time. My past feelings with Jace's delivery were making me feel overwhelmed, so Ryan called our Bishop and he came to help give me a blessing. Having Ryan give me a blessing was the most POWERFUL comfort for me. I felt in my heart that what happened during Jace's delivery would not happen again. From that point on it was an enjoyable experience. That's right family, I said ENJOYABLE! The day pretty much went like that morning: upping the PIT and me breathing through the contractions and being bored! I wish I had taken a card game or something. The tv didn't have ANYTHING good to watch. I took a nap at one point!!! That was fun!!!

By late afternoon (I can't remember what time it was) I had progressed to a 6 and was having a hard time breathing through the contractions. I would start to shake and my focus was leaving. I decided to have the epidural. This was the major cause of pain with Jace's delivery. I talked with my Dr, and I talked with the Head Anethesiologist and felt comfortable with doing it again. Dean (the Head Anethesiologist) did the procedure and it was NOTHING like last time! It took him 5 minutes to put it in and I didn't feel ANY shocks in my legs or ANY discomfort while it was being put in. Needless to say it was such a relief and I KNEW that this deliver was going down the right road! It actually made me really excited! I told him not to dose me up to high, so I ended up being able to still move my legs and it took the edge of pain off my contractions! It was perfect!

By 9:00 I was still at a 7, but 100% effaced. It was just a matter of waiting now. During this time the contractions were coming harder and faster. Ryan would help me switch positions so I could hopefully dialate. By 9:30ish the nurse checked me again and I was ready to push! WOO HOO!!! It was SO painful!!! I didn't feel anything with Jace because I was completely numb, but with this delivery I could feel when the contractions were coming and could actually push with them.

After a couple of contractions and pushing, it was time to get the Dr.!!! Ryan had asked if he could catch Kayson, so like the dr he got suited up :) I had to wait TWO contractions of NOT pushing!!! OUCH!!! Then after two more contractions and pushing, RYAN delivered our little boy at 10:05 pm!!! Such an AMAZING experience for both of us! A lot of pain for me, but SO worth it to see Ryan deliver our son! Ryan looked a little pale after catching him, but he told me later he wanted to do it again!

Ryan stayed with Kayson and I laid on the bed being stitched up from tearing a little. They finally weighed him and I was able to hold him when he wasn't all bloody. Ryan put him on my chest when he was born and Kayson whacked my face with his bloody arm! YUCK! After waiting for my legs to become un-numb, we went to our room and started the recovery process.

With Jace I couldn't do anything for a day and a half because of the epidural hitting my spine and causing a spinal headache. This time I was able to take a shower and walk around and feel normal! It was the best delivery experience EVER and having Kayson home with us now is amazing! I feel AMAZING!

As a side note about his name. We had decided on Kayden, but when we kept hearing how popular it was we decided to look for a second name. We decided on Kayson a couple of weeks before he was born, but didn't tell anyone because we wanted to see what he would look like when he came. I told Ryan when he placed Kayson on my chest that he was indeed a Kayson, so it became official. So sorry for the surprise, but we wanted to make sure it fit. And it does :)

Thank you for all the sweet comments! I can't wait for everyone to meet him! We'll write more soon.

4 comments:

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cassie said...

So so glad everything went as perfect as it did! This totally made me want to write out my story - so stay tuned ;)

Ryan and Katie said...

Can't wait Cass!!!

Meg 'n Heath said...

congrats! I'm glad everything went well and there were no complications. I cant wait to visit you and see the little guy in person.