Monday, July 30, 2012

Dating

Last month while I was watching my sister-in-law's step-son, he said something that was both hilarious and thought provoking. Here's how the conversation went: Him: What are you planning? Me: I'm planning a day-date for my husband and I. Him: You still date your husband?!?!? Me: Uh... Yeah. Why? Him: I've had 2 different step-mom's and my dad has never dated them after they got married. Wow. Marriage to me is more than "I caught the fish! Now stuff it and put it on the wall to collect dust." Marriage reminds me of parenthood. More downs than up's it seems. But OH! how the up's are worth working for!!! They can change your life, and in hindsight most of the down's ARE up's in disguise. I was watching a preview for a movie, can't remember the name, but one line was: "In India we believe that in the end it all works out. If it hasn't worked out, then it's not the end." I have wonderful examples in my life showing me how marriage is supposed to be. My Mom and Dad STILL "chase each other around the table". I still watch my siblings as their kids grow, or have hardships of their own, and take mental notes on their successes or failures. Marriage has been a wonderful experience for me and Ryan. I love him more and respect him more than I ever thought possible to feel towards another human being. It's deep, fulfilling, and everlasting. Here's to you Ryan. And many more dates ahead! Our day-date was spent eating lunch at Flaming Gorge Resort, then walking around the water taking pictures. Thanks again Mom for watching the boys while we did this! It really meant a lot to us.

No comments: